The Spring Point Ledge Light Trust is in need of volunteers to help with our Open House events during the summer. Volunteers lead tours, teach visitors about the lighthouse and its historic role in Portland Harbor, and point out the landmarks surrounding the lighthouse. Tours include not only our regular summer weekend openings, but special group tours that arrive via bus and cruise ship. Volunteers also staff the ticket shed at the foot of the breakwater, interacting with passersby and our visitors, serving often as the first point of contact with the public. Volunteers can also serve on one of our committees: finance, operations, communications, and maintenance. Membership on the board of trustees is not a prerequisite.
Our volunteers receive classroom training and materials before conducting tours. People joining our team later in the season will receive training materials and individual orientation during regular open house events. New volunteers are paired with an experienced guide or Trustee until they are comfortable with guiding tours. Our goal is to make your experience fun and rewarding. Our training materials may be downloaded free of charge from our Downloads & Links page.
Norm Forgey, August 11, 2013, via Facebook
Among the positions available to volunteers this summer are:
- Greeters: meeting and greeting visitors and passersby to encourage them to tour the lighthouse
- Ticket and Merchandise Sales: greeting the public and handling sales of tickets, merchandise, and refreshments at our shore-based ticket shed
- Breakwater Guides: standing at the head of the breakwater to give visitors an introduction to the area around the lighthouse and its history
- Lighthouse Tour Guide: working in the lighthouse itself
- Behind-the-Scenes: helping to set up the ticket shed before and after events, ensuring the shed is stocked and tracking inventory, among other duties.
A complete description of these positions is available for download here.
Briviana Chavez, August 14, 2013, via Facebook
Volunteers are a critical part of the Trust’s success in maintaining and preserving the lighthouse. Sign up today! You’ll enjoy plenty of fresh air and sunshine, meet people from all over the world, and help preserve and promote a wonderful lighthouse that is a gem on the South Portland waterfront. Click on the button below to be taken to our easy Sign Up portal.
Sign Up Today